- Echo Cliffs | Yes, I realize that technically it's closer to the Stepford community of Westlake Village than L.A., but you'd be hardpressed to find this quality & quantity of climbing as close to the E Bay.
- San Gabriels | miles of kickass singletrack that is mostly legal for MTBs
- Other amazing climbing areas within 4h of L.A. include Red Rocks, J-tree, Tahquitz, and my favorite playground, the High Sierra.
- Alcove | Euro cafe with great outdoor seating and amazing desserts
- Cafe Tropical | popovers!
- Chosun Galbee | slightly upscale Korean with interesting modern architecture and excellent bibimbap, the standard by which I judge all K restaurants
- Cedar House | another great Middle Eastern place; combo plates highly recommended
- Hollywood Farmers Market | great place to spend a lazy Sunday morning and pick up some phenomenal produce and flowers
- Jitlada | great southern Thai food with unfortunately somewhat inconsistent service
- Kyushu Ramen | J comfort food, and yes, I like it better than Daikokuya
- Pollo a la Brasa | easily overlooked shack run by Japanese Peruvians with succulent anticuchos and aji
- Red Corner Asia | my favorite of the late night Thai restaurants, mostly b/c they have sticky rice
- Taco Zone Truck | mouth watering carnitas tacos for something like $1.25
- Village Gourmet (Vermont location) | The Petit Basque cheese is phenomenal. Helpful, non-snobby staff
- Zankou Chicken (Sunset x Normandie location) | For me it's the shish kabob that's the draw, not the chicken
- Das Bunker | Best industrial club around
- Dresden Room | Check out open mike night on Tuesdays hosted by local fixtures Marty & Elaine.
- White Horse | I'm not a big drinker, but I like the White Horse - great staff and a plethora of snacks just like grandma used to serve.
- Pho Siam Thai Spa | Kathy and Lynn at Pho Siam have kept my TFL tendinitis in check as well as the Boulder Rolfers
- Dr. Frances Wang (acupuncturist; 4924 Hollywood Blvd, 323.913.0247) | Definitely one of the most competent and caring doctors I have met
- Faroh Hair Design | as previously noted in my blog
- Goodwill on Vine | best of the Hollywood Goodwills
- L.A. Flower Market | If you dig through the hoards of Phalaenopsis and Gladiolus there are hidden treasures to be found, like Brassia and Sarracenia.
- Wacko | my library and pop/folk art collection on steroids